Monday, April 22, 2013

Disabilities Field Trip

This week the class visited the Disabilities office for a field trip. Ms Weir led the lecture and showed us many different assistive technology tools that are used for students with disabilities. This lecture was very interesting to me. I was very intrigued to learn about all the different tools that are used.

Ms Weir showed us 13 different tools that are commonly used. At the end of this post, I'm going to attach the notes that I took during this lecture that will go more into depth about the tools.

The most interesting tools that caught my eye the most were the Jaws ScreenReader, UbiDuo  Communicators, and the Comfort Contego. The Jaws reads everything on the computer screen to the student. The UbiDuo is a communicator that deaf people or hearing impaired people use. This device sends text messages to each other to help communicate. 2 keyboards are connected that allow this to happen. The Comfort Contego is an assistive listening device for people with hearing impairments. Students put on headphones and are able to point the device to the speaker. There are 5 different levels. 5 is the loudest and 0 is mute.

All of these tools were very interesting but I only picked out three.

Check out my notes that I took that included all 13 tools that were talked about today!

I cannot wait to be a Special Ed teacher and hopefully apply these tools to my students.

No comments:

Post a Comment